Sunday, September 2, 2012

Butter/Thyme Scallops w/Creamy Polenta

 
 
 
First let me say that I made this about a month ago and forgot to post it so take my directions accordingly.
 
POLENTA
I'm guessing from my pictures that I sauted some diced onions 1st. This is totally optional and based on your taste. You could also add some garlic and knowing me I'm surprised I didn't do that...anyway  you can totally skip this step and it's not a big deal.

 
Looking at this pic it does look like I added a little minced garlic once my onions were done.
 

 
 
Then add about 2 cups of milk. (You can also use water or chicken stock but this was CREAMY polenta, plus I think it tastes better with milk).
 
 
 
Wisk it occasionally so it doesn't scorch on the bottom.
It should start getting bubbly when it's ready for the polenta.
 
 
 
I used instant polenta
 
 
Add the polenta; start with about 1/2 cup and wisk, wisk, wisk! It will start to get thick. You can add more polenta or milk as needed to get the right consistency. Because it's instant it will  cook in just a  few minutes, but at the same time it's more than just mix it in and it's done. Stir it over low heat for about 3 minutes or so otherwise it can taste grainy.
 
 
How thick you want it is totally your preference. You can make it really creamy or really thick and pour it in a pan and refrigerate it for a 30 min or so to firm it up and then cut in slices and pan fry it. It's really versatile and really void of flavor, so you must add flavor.
This is why I started with sauted onions and garlic.
 
 
I added a blend of asiago, mozzarella, and parmesan.
 I also added some leftover chopped herbs from my scallops. You can finish it with some butter a little bit of cream if you want to live dangerously. Another combo that's really good is goat cheese and an herb blend of parsley, rosemary and thyme.
 
As you can see it thickened up a little so I added some more milk before serving it.
 
SCALLOPS
So, I love scallops, I don't cook them at home a lot because they can be kind of pricy. I was really craving them and I saw a bag of frozen ones labeled JUMBO so I bought them. Big mistake, these are NOT jumbo at all and not the best quality but I rolled with it. I've made pretty much the same meal with shrimp before and it's a fun play on shrimp and grits.
 
Start by salt and peppering your scallops or shrimp
 
Then get a pan really hot and add a little drizzle of oil and slowly lay the scallops in the pan and then leave them alone. Let them get nice and brown before turning them.
Notice all the water coming out...blah frozen scallops.
These did not turn out like they should have and I'm blaming the fact that they were frozen and I probably didn't thaw them out enough. I was hungry!
 
If you are using shrimp just toss them around for 2-3 min and they will be done! Much easier!
 
Once they are done add a Tablespoon of butter and this much chopped thyme. Toss it all together and tada! I'm also pretty sure that I add a little minced garlic to the butter but I don't have a picture of it so if you like garlic butter like I do then please add some. Just throw it in the pan with the butter and herbs. It should all come together in 1 minute!
 
Look like I also sauted some greens...I don't remember if this was spinach, kale, or chard. I have a basic recipe for swiss chard that would work with just about any green. http://thisandthatkitchen.blogspot.com/2012/08/swiss-chard-this-is-what-swiss-chard.html Just adjusting cooking time depending on the green.
 
 

 

1 comment:

  1. Ahh! I love that you blog! (this is Adrienne from church by the way). Will have to pop in often to see what you're making! Great seeing you guys today!

    ReplyDelete