Monday, September 17, 2012

Best Roast...Ever

Best Roast...Ever! With Garlic Mashed Potatoes


 

 
I used stew meat but I've done this before with a large roast, rump, shoulder, butt..whatever you like.
 
Blott the meat with paper towels to dry it off so it will brown better.
 
Then lightly toss the stew meat in flour seasoned with plenty of salt and pepper. (if you are using a roast skip this part)
 
In a hot pan add a good drizzle of olive oil and add the meat. Be careful not to overcrowd the pan. You will probably have to do it in at least 2 parts.
 
It should only take about 2 minutes to get brown. Then flip it for another minute or 2. You just want to sear the meat. It will not be cooked through.
 
Remove the seared meat and add in a medium onion sliced in half moons. Not too thin.
I love mushrooms so I always add some.  I used baby bellas cause they have really good flavor. Again cut these pretty thick because they will cook for a long time and turn into complete mush if they are cut thin.
 
Toss them in the pan, you may have to add a tiny bit more oil.
You don't want to cook them completly just toss them around for a few minutes.
 
 
Then add in about 1 1/2c of red wine. I buy the little 4 packs of the mini bottles so I don't have to open a whole bottle.
 
 
Stir that in and then add about 2C-2 1/2Cups of Beef stock
 
Add the meat back in and Reduce for about 15-20 min over medium heat. Everything up to this point took me about 15 min. If you are doing this in the morning before work once you get to this point go do your hair or makeup or shower or something. You don't need to be in the kitchen for this.
I normally would have added my carrots at this point but I forgot so I just added them into the crockpt after I was done reducing.
 
 
Set crockpot on low. It will be ready after a minimum of 5 hours but it's better if you let it go longer. I put it in the crock pot at 8 and almost all my liquid was gone when I got home at 5:45. Keep that in mind and adjust your liquid depending on how long you will be gone.
You could also add potatoes at this point if you want but I prefer to make garlic mashed potatoes when I get home and serve it over that. YUM!
ALTERNATIVELY the first time I made this I did it in my dutch oven. Instead of putting it in the crockpot after reducing put your dutch oven in the oven at 300 for 3 hours.
 
This is what was waiting for me when I got home.
 
Serve over Garlic Mashed Potatoes. I'm posting that recipe on it's own.
 
 

1 comment: