Friday, August 17, 2012

Pork Loin

Pulled Pork (crockpot style)



I used Pork Loin but Pork Butt or Shoulder would work.



I rubbed the fat side with plenty of salt and pepper, chilli powder (2 big pinches), cumin powder(1 big pinch), and garlic powder (1 big pinch)

Once it's seasoned rub it in.


If you are short on time you can go right into the crock pot now,  but if you have an extra 10min I recommend searing the pork on all sides first.
Put the seasoned side down in a HOT pan with HOT oil.

Lightly season the other side with everything from the 1st side.

You want a nice dark brown color on that 1st side. I probably let mine go 1 or 2 min too long cause spots are a little too dark. It's not that big of a deal though, it tasted wonderful! Sear all sides. Once you get both front and back seared you can just hold it up for 1 min on the remaining little sides just to sear the flesh.

Then into the crockpot on low, with 1 can of diced tomatoes ( I used my fav, fire roasted, but a jar of salsa would also work)  I also cut up a nectarine. I like the spicy and sweet together. You can also add salsa and some peach or orange jelly. BUT we are avoiding all that added sugar this month. I then added about 1/2 cup of stock so the bottom of my pan wouldn't burn. I usually add chicken stock to pork but I was out so I used beef stock and it was fine.


The shortest time I've let this cook is 6 hours and it was very delicious and tender. I would bet it would be okay at 4-5 hours too. Today I left it for almost 10 hours! It really is fine either way.
I served this with black beans, vinegar slaw, and a green salad.

I didn't take pics of the slaw because it's really really simple.
Cut up some cabbage, drizzle a few TBLS of rice vinegar and throw in some chopped cilantro.
I really like the flavor and texture contrast of the slaw with the pork. This is the same kind of slaw I use for fish tacos.

No comments:

Post a Comment